Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Module 14: The Arrow Finds Its Mark

a.       This book is a collection of found poems from a variety of sources. The introduction is very important because it explains the reason this book came about.  Poem sources range from twitter, signs, advertisements, titles, captions, and more. The poems vary from acrostic to free verse to haiku. Each poem is unique and artfully illustrated.
b.      Heard, G. (2012). The arrow finds its mark: A book of found poems. New York: Roaring Book Press.  
c.       The idea behind this book is neat and unusual. I know poetry is everything the author wants it to be but I personally did not quite get most of the poems. I liked seeing where they were found, but I don’t think that all of them really scream poetry to me. Again, that is justs my limited exposure to poems. I thought it was interesting to find so much poetry in the most unlikely places, like twitter or bus signs.
d.      Keaise, S. M. (2012). The arrow finds its mark: A book of found poems. Library Media Connection, 30(6), 84.
Poetry, vision, and creativity are the key to the works selected and used in this innovative children's book. These insightful poets created poems from emails, blogs, twitter, face book, and dictionaries. By simply changing a line break or constructing special titles, poets used various forms of poetry from haiku to acrostic. The b&w illustrations bring life to the nontraditional poems. Each poem is accompanied by the person who found it and the source of where they found it. Poetry lovers will not be able to put this book down, just out of curiosity alone.

e.       I would use this book to make a book trailer. I would like to highlight it so that students can check it out. A follow up activity that would like to do is ask students to find poems throughout the campus and submit them to me to publish on our website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment